☮.♥.✮ ☀..✈
14 July, 2010

Manila, Philippines. TYPHOON SEASON is back.
Last I checked before going home last Tuesday, Metro Manila was under Storm Signal #1. I was not complacent, but it did not seem like there was something to panic about. I went to bed at 9PM but I woke up to this noise, which already told me that something was wrong about our local weather bureau announcing that it was just Storm Signal #1. The last time PAG-ASA announced a Public Storm Signal #1, we had Ondoy and Pepeng last year.

It wasn't raining, but the winds were howling like crazy and I was terrified! I knew this wasn't going to make me sleep. I got out of bed several times to check what was happening outside, but I didn't last more than 3 seconds because the winds sounded like they were very angry. I'd rush back to bed and hide under my blanket. Two things that kept me sane and somewhat helped me get some sleep when we had Ondoy, Pepeng, and this time Basyang were my:

  1. Rosary
  2. iPod
The power went out at 12midnight and it got back just now. There was no electricity for 21 hours because Typhoon Basyang (International Name: CANSON) did some mean battering in Manila. I went to work and every single building in Makati was running on gensets. Seriously, I didn't think that typhoon was Signal #1 because when this storm signal is raised, usually, these are expected:
METEOROLOGICAL CONDITIONS
  • A tropical cyclone will affect the locality.

  • Winds of 30-60 kph may be expected in at least 36 hours or intermittent rains may be expected within 36 hours. When the tropical cyclone develops very close to the locality a shorter lead time of the occurrence of the winds will be specified in the warning bulletin.
  • IMPACT OF THE WINDS:
  • Twigs and branches of small trees may be broken and some banana plants may be tilted or downed. Also, some houses of very light materials (nipa and cogon) may be partially unroofed.

  • Unless this warning signal is upgraded during the entire existence of the tropical cyclone, only very light or no damage at all may be sustained by the exposed communities.

  • Rice crop, however, may suffer significant damage when it is in its flowering stage.
  • Source | You may click here.
    On my way to work this morning, I saw 3 billboard structures that were down and huge trees were uprooted everywhere! I saw Meralco posts that definitely got bogged down from Basyang's ripping. And as if it could be worse, these also happened:

    TalagaLangHa

    Photo Credits | Ali Vicoy, posted by @manila_bulletin.



    ScrewBasyang

    From Daily Life, captioned: Residents sit next to the belongings amongst their destroyed house in the village of Arenda, Taytay town, Rizal province...


    Seriously, these and what I've seen this morning do not, in any way, tell me that what we experienced was Signal #1. I'm sure of that.

    Bookmark and Share

    9 Comments:

    the girl in stiletto said...

    stay safe!!

    Grace de Castro said...

    super lakas nga ng hangin! grabe!

    just starting to read the news now, kaya ngayon ko lang nalalaman mga effects nung bagyo...

    Anonymous said...

    That's really awful and it sucks that it's always the poor people who are affected the most. *sigh*

    Clarissa said...

    Gees,kahit dito sa Japan,grabe ang ulan!Ok lang naman banda dito sa amin but for some locations,nagbaha na.
    You take care of yourself ha and update us here.Stay safe dear!


    Hello there,Russ!Sencya na at medyo busy ang nanay at palaging walang chance sa harapan ng pc--bakasyon na ng mga bata.

    Have a great weekend to you and your family!^_^

    Ricademus said...

    I'm glad you're safe russ. I usually like watching storms, but that one was too scary.

    It's comforting to have rosaries handy when we need them.

    R. said...

    GRACE DE CASTRO.
    It was a bummer that there was no electricity so everyone didn't have any idea what was happening. I hope you and your family are safe!

    THE GIRL IN STILETTO.
    .. thanks dear!

    R. said...

    CHARLES.
    Most of the time, they are the ones who are greatly affected. However, Ondoy was one of a kind. Ondoy sort of "treated everyone equally".

    RICADEMUS.
    If it's the kind of storm that's not destructive, that is still okay. This is nature. We cannot really do so much but be cautious. I do want to say that this is the only thing that I do not like about being in a tropical country: typhoon season.

    CLARISSA.
    Hiyee! No worries dear. I wanted to get you something, but I don't know what. It's good to hear from you. Enjoy bonding with your little girls.

    jak said...

    i watched it in the news program, Russ...just take care, Russ...The wise Men said,"Storm will pass away"

    Eloisa said...

    we can deal with the winds pa siguro..pero rainwater like in Ondoy would be another story. Stay safe! RYC: Thanks russ...I'll miss my lolo for a very very long time.

    Post a Comment