WARNING: I might gross you out with the last photo towards the end of my post. If you're eating and if you have a weak stomach, I suggest that you don't read the rest of this entry.Ü
I am aware that Bulalo and Nilaga are two different dishes, but to me they're the same. I think I just contradicted myself there.Ü Next to any Filipino dish that has tomato sauce, Lechon, and Sinigang, Nilaga and/or Bulalo → Filipino Beef Marrow Stew would be #4 on my list of must-try Filipino food. It's that perfect fix on a cold weather, just like what we have right now.
Anyways, last week I learned that IloIlo has their own version of the Bulalo, which is the KANSI. My friend AJ has been raving about this quaint Kansi place in Makati for months now and it was only last last Wednesday that I got the chance to first eat at PATPAT'S Kansi. The nice thing about this is that we won't have to drive all the way up to Tagaytay to eat at LZM or at Pansol in Laguna if and when we want to have a mean, good Bulalo.
Yes, I do eat that BUT I make sure that I eat it as soon as it's served because it can not look very appealing once it's cooled because I think it does resemble hardened fat or sebo.Ü You'll know what I mean. I've heard people say that the Bone Marrow isn't good for people with heart problems because it has high cholesterol content and true enough, each time I have some of it, I get somewhat dizzy. But what the heck? Anything for good food ─ and besides, it's not like I eat Bulalo every day. I probably eat this dish 3 to 5 times in a year. For 2009 I've only had it twice: (1) in Laguna last January after the Pansol trip that my friends and I had + (2) In Makati at the Kansi place two Wednesdays ago.
I'm sorry I can't give you any specific details about the price because I didn't bother to look at the menu since I already know what I was gonna have and at the same time, I was asked not to pay for my dinner last time.Ü However, I do know that the food is very reasonable. Our total bill was PHP1,100 which is approximately $23. We were a group of 5 so that's about PHP220 per head or $4.75 per person!
I hope I didn't discourage any of you with the Bulalo.
It's one of those best comfort foods that you can try because you're sure to feel sleepy after having it. GRATIFYING is the word. Sounds slothful right, but don't you just love that feeling after a hearty meal?
17 December, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

23 Comments:
I'm not sure I could eat it after seeing the last picture!!! It looked good before then. =)
Something's wrong with me. I am not grossed out. Made me want to try bulalo one of these days.
Oh my,Russ!!It's excatly 12 noon here and I'm hungry ang that bulalo looks really yummy!!I miss eating that!!Kelan nga ba ako nakakain ng bulalo?Now,I can have my rice and eat 'em while staring at your bulalo in front of my pc lol!!
re:Malaking tulong ang merong coupons kasi you can get discounts kahit konti.Tapos yung iba merong point cards,like for example kung bibili ka sa electronic shop,merong points na ibibigay sa yo and you can exchange them into stuffs na equivalent sa points mo.
I'm one of the few people who don't eat beef. Everybody tells me that bulalo is yummy. I did force myself to like it though but I ended up throwing up. :D
Lots of love,
Oh hey, Kansi, eh? I didn't know you were into that. :-p I tried some when I was in Iloilo for school...where I come from, we also have our version of that. It;s called Balbacua, and I think its sauce is thicker than that of the Kansi.
RicAdeMus.
That's exactly the reason why it should be eaten ASAP, but don't worry it tastes really good :)
VAYIE.
Haha! Me too! Despite knowing that it looks like that after a few minutes, I still eat it. Heck, I love it!Ü
CLARISSA.
You should cook Bulalo or Nilaga for you children and hubby. Have they ever tried it?Ü • We do have the point system here in the Philippines, but I don't think it's as sulit as the ones in other countries. Technically here, lugi pa rin ang consumers because instead of getting savings consumers are being pushed to spend more.Ö
GOLDEN.
I have a friend who cannot eat beef too. Like you, she also throws up.
SONIA.
Balbacua is a Cebuano dish right? I have not tried it, but will make sure I will :)
Yes, sis. Those were the victims of Typhoon Pepeng. :(
i haven't had bulalo in a while...pero masarap nga yan sa Tagaytay :)
Clare
I looooove Bulalo especially if there's a lot of "utak". I know it's bad but I also couldn't help myself. Masarap din yan when you spread it on a warm crostini. Lovely. :D
GOLDEN.
That's a more decent and a way better place for them to stay that in just one gym or stadium or court where they all look like sardines.Ö
CLARE.
Pero naman, ang layo rin ng Tagaytay. But a meal with Bulalo makes the trip worthwhile.
DYOSA.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll certainly try that. This is the first time that I've heard of UTAK + CROSTINI but I think it is yummy nga.
Eat and sleep, that's the "itis", haha. I didn't know bone marrow was high in cholest. o.o'
Will make sure I don't that eat too often..
..but it looks soooooooo goood.
Hah, I would try anything! Okay, maybe not anything but this one I could probably stomach:)
JAY KV.
IT IS :)
It's just that I also wanted to share how yukky it looks after a few minutes. You won't really have to see that if you'd eat everything ASAP. LOL.
SHER.
I'm sure you can eat this one.
I bet you'll even like it, perfect for cold weather and when you're sick.
thanks for this resto review! kakagutom tuloy! subukan ko sila prolly before the month ends.
p.s. i agree, bulalo and nilaga = same thing.
sarap ng sabaw nyan lalo na pag mainit. the last pic didnt gross me out. nasanay na siguro. hehe.
happy weekend!
HUMAN BULLSHIT.
Finally! Someone who agrees with me that they're the same.Ü
THE SCUD.
Good. Good. Okay yan.
Sarap naman talaga diba? :)
we have something similar to this soup in Indonesia, it's called "sop tulang" and I LOVEEEE it..I esp love the bone marrow..
And no Russ, I'm not grossed out by the alst picture. And I read your post while having breakfast..haha..I know I know, I just grossed u out, hehe..
It's okay dear :)
Some people are sensitive when it comes to these things. But I'm glad that Indonesia has its own version of the Bone Marrow Stew. Is it spicy?
Ooohh look at that fat! Very unhealthy. As usual delicious on the lips, ten pounds on the hips.
Sofia says the same thing (getting dizzy) after eating rich food. I have never had that problem.
I don't worry too much about the cholesterol in food. As far as I am concerned, dietery cholesterol was never a problem - the more serious problem are things like trans-fats (imagine 40+ years of telling people to cut out cholesterol and replace it with trans-fats), smoking, lack of sunlight (the sun converts cholesterol into Vitamin D - which reduces numerous cancers - an sunblock prevents that from happening. I do not advocate roasting yourself, though).
I am sure it is fine warm or cold, just so long as there aren't bits of bone in it.
malapit kasi for me ang tagaytay :P
i survive from this foodie post :D
Thank God i just finished my lunch before i see this post :D
Post a Comment