There was one tweet that I read today that made me sad.
This was posted in Twitter by @gma7news.
Rat Control Expert: Metro Manila is rat infested with around 100M rats or 10 rats per MM resident. 40-90% carry Leptospirosis virus.Sigh. What is happening to the world? Poverty. Earthquakes. Sickness. Hunger. People Dying. Killer Floods. Landslides. Super Typhoons. My country hasn't even recovered from Ondoy + Pepeng. We have Ramil ─ aka LUPIT, this week and the increasing number of people with Leptospirosis. 100 million rats?? What does this tell us? Obviously, this doesn't sound good anymore.
On the lighter side, we don't rats here in my house. My Mom's OC and a neat-freak which is why I think we don't have pests at home. I would also have to give credit to the people who pick up our garbage because they are doing such a great job at it. Lastly, the village cats are also doing an amazing job keeping these rats away.Ü
What is LEPTOSPIROSIS?
Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease that affects humans and animals. It is caused by bacteria of the genus Leptospira. In humans it causes a wide range of symptoms, and some infected persons may have no symptoms at all. Symptoms of leptospirosis include high fever, severe headache, chills, muscle aches, and vomiting, and may include jaundice (yellow skin and eyes), red eyes, abdominal pain, diarrhea, or a rash. If the disease is not treated, the patient could develop kidney damage, meningitis (inflammation of the membrane around the brain and spinal cord), liver failure, and respiratory distress. In rare cases death occurs. | via Centers For Disease Control & Prevention

9 Comments:
now that i'm looking for a new job, working abroad seems more and more attractive because i'm freaked out by rats. moving back to MM for work with that thought in mind just feels scary tuloy.
i remember freaking out when i saw one at the house we used to rent a couple of years back -- i shuddered at the thought of 10 rats per resident! grabe!
Wifey and I were thinking the same thing. It's like one delubyo after another.
I'm wondering the same thing. 2009 is not a very good year for us.
pgh has no choice but to admit people with lepto since it is a tertiary hosp, so one conference room had to be converted to a ward so patients could be admitted.
as preventive measure, people who walked through the flood should drink 2 capsules of doxycycline.
' ten mice per household in MM? wow that's a lot! this speaks of our lack of knowledge and more importantly, lack of discipline with regards to keeping our surroundings clean.. kakahiya naman.. mas marami pa pala alagang mga daga ang mga tao kesa sa mga aso..
I would be wary of the first source quoted. Leptospirosis is a becteria, not a virus. Secondly, there is a BIG difference between a 40% infection rate and a 90% infection rate. To me, it sounds like a good piece of sensationalism. Accuracy is not important, just spread the fear.
Of course, I have never been to Manila, so I don;t know how many rats there really are.
You could always eat them like they do in Cambodia (though it might not be so affordable anymore) or Thailand.
I know I wouldn't have any problem having eaten Guinea Pig on several occaisions.
kakatakot pa naman yan, madaling nakakamatay pag di kaagad naagapan...
Nakakatakot naman ang kumakalat na bacteria sa Pinas ngayon that made me sad.Hinde nga naging maganda ang year 2009 sa Pinas,maraming masamang pangyayari.
Post a Comment