☮.♥.✮ ☀..✈: No Regrets
21 September, 2009

I found this quote from one of the "inspiration e-mails" I get every day. Seems to be just what I needed. Funny when that happens, isn't it? Thinking for yourself in the face of doubt.

One man’s creativity is another's brain damage.” – Roland Fischer
If you accept someone else's idea of reality and personal limits, you will have no control over your own destiny. You can only go as far as that view will let you. Do you normally accept things as they are, or do you ask “WHY” and “WHAT IF”? Being an individual and thinking for yourself – even while others are calling you crazy – takes courage.

For many, getting out of their comfort zones and trying a new perspective is scary. I do agree with that. Getting out of work last February was a major decision that had to be done. Certain things had to stop - we can discuss this in the comments portion if you like.

I know that if I stick to the familiar, to what is known, I will not grow and learn. I keep reminding myself that this is something that had to happen so I should not be afraid to go against the grain. I should ask the tough questions that everyone else is afraid to ask. New things and ways need to be done just to see what happens.

There is a world outside BF! And I am pretty sure that the world won't end. I look forward to the solutions that nobody else would see if they are all looking at something like this in the same way. After all, I do have to try popcorn every once in a while.

---
FYI. I don't eat popcorn so that line up there, it will really be a big challenge.

Bookmark and Share

22 Comments:

Nina said...

Popcorn is awesome! ;)
Anyway, about your previous job what made you quit it? Did it become so draining already?

Unknown said...

I can very much relate. My wife and I are in the process of making a BIG change too (2nd quarter of next year, but we've started the preps (read: saving as much as we can) as early as now), one that involves me quitting my job. It's a huge sacrifice. But like you said, "if I stick to the familiar, to what is known, I will not grow and learn." It's all for our future. We just have to rough it out for a year.

D.L. Verzosa said...

about your note at my post, my dad said that red wine is used to perk up the flavor. hahaha thanks for the note BTW.

jak said...

You knowRuss,I think a lot about this topic lately..This december i willbe 25. I think i have to do something great. And rigth no, i'm in the process to so that. Im in holiday for one week and i wanna use it effectively...Like u wrote, i have to decide to leave my comfort zone...Thanks for this wonderful post...wish u billion of luck =)

R. said...

NINA.
I can't seem to appreciate to like popcorn because I feel like I'm eating air.Ö I had to quit work for a lot of reasons, but top two would be: (1) It was already too much, VERY VERY stressful + (2) I got sick last year and had undergone surgery mid-2008. Quitting work was a decision, which I think, should have been made even before I got sick.

I was paid well, but it didn't compensate for all the stress that I was getting. I thought I was still underpaid because I was doing the job of 5 people. And to add to that, I was also overworked and unappreciated. I don't have weekends. I don't have holidays. I don't have time for myself. I don't see my family anymore .. to think my office was just a five-minute drive from my house! Worse, people would make stupid issues and when your boss should be the first person to answer for you, nada... she leaves you hanging.

The old company where I worked had this PASS THE BUCKET culture. I don't want to be part of it.

R. said...

RICO.
I wish you and your wife the best. I can imagine what a tough decision it must be to quit your job, but you gotta do what you gotta do for a better future and a better life for your family.Ü I'll be praying for you guys.

JAK.
If it's any consolation, I'm 27 and I think I have not done anything great yet. I've given so much to my last job, there, I'm sure I've done so much for them without leaving anything for myself. I'm so drained.

When are you planning to have your vacation? Where are you going? I also wish you the best. Your faith, compared to mine, is a lot stronger. I hope that you fulfill whatever it is that you wish.

AILEE.
Thanks girl. I'll pass on the Red Wine info so we can try it too when we make Caldereta.

C said...

this reminds me of one of the lectures we had in my online class, about the inhibitors that get in the way of what we can achieve in life and in creativity...i should send you the pdf ;)

R. said...

Sige. Sige.Ü I'd love to read that Clare.I think you have my e-mail add. Lemme know if you need it though.

Traveliztera said...

every change i did for the past few months was truly amazing... :) even those friggin let-downs helped me a lot (cliche but yeah... thanks for the cliche. lol) to change ... :D

Reagan D said...

i almost forgot the post when the word "popcorn" popped up. cheese..oh yum!haha.

anyway, id have to agree on this:"getting out of their comfort zones and trying a new perspective is scary."

but if needed, we must do "outrageous" things in order for us to achieve our sense of contentment and fulfillment.

everyday is a new day, and every day is a new chance for a blessing. we just gotta go and grab it. ^_^

R. said...

STEPH.
You're sooo positive.Ü You get amazing rewards for having the courage to do and accept change. The "friggin-letdowns" should be ignored. I'm a work-in-progress.

MANIK_REIGUN.
I've done one outrageous thing so far. I guess I gotta work on the next crazy thing :D

Kaitlin said...

Wow~ that's one interesting trivia about you! I'm a picky eater but I do eat popcorn. Hehe. :p

Change is good. I used to be afraid of change but I figured that one of the best ways to learn, and strengthen skills is to do things differently once in a while. It goes hand in hand with growth, see?

Good luck with the changes you have ahead of you. :) May your lucky stars guide you and may you enjoy popcorn along the way! :D

Anonymous said...

hi! thanks for your comment on my post :) well at least you've reached the $10 :) hehehehe! nway, i agree with what you said on your post. getting out of the comfort zone is really scary. but sticking with the familiar wouldn't help someone to grow and learn. "life is a constant change" as we all say ;)

Anonymous said...

hi! sorry i can't seem to find a place anywhere else in your blog to leave this message..your blog is very interesting thus i'm inviting you to register for free at (,") BLOGS NG PINOY (",), the online directory of blogs made by pinoys worldwide! :) registering is just like an exchange links concept. click on the "MAGPALISTA NA!" link on the page for instructions :) take care!

Anonymous said...

hi russ! i just read one of your comments here to nina. if i were to weigh your situation, i myself could say that you've made the right decision. i see that your work has done you no good. if i were in your place, i also would quit since it's not practical anymore to stay with the job that has no growth whatsoever.

Traveliztera said...

o yeah... I WANT SOME POPCORN lol

R. said...

KAITLIN.
Hahaa. Yup, I really don't eat popcorn - strange no?

I think people in general are always afraid of change, but if you think about it, change can only be intimidating at the beginning. "It goes hand in hand with growth, see?" → I agree.Ü Thank youuu for the well wishes. I hope my lucky stars will be very generous.

VERONIZM.
Though most of the time, it triggers fear, it still is amazingly powerful. I always welcome change if it helps me to move forward, appreciate new opportunities out there. Thank you for visiting.Ü

BLOGS NG PINOY.
Thanks for the invite.

ReadWriteSnap said...

This is so true...there was a time i also made a decision to leave a very promising corporation to do just what I wanted to do - teach and stay home with the kids (i was only teaching part-time). it's rewarding!

TO JAK and RUSS...

All things great we feel we must do is not something we have to because we're getting old. age doesn't have anything to do with what we must - although at times - the younger we are, the farther we can (i.e. better at climbing mountains and getting there faster, that's age related). Deep down inside, most of us still do not know what to do with our lives. but when you think of something that you want to do without a doubt in your mind, then do it!

if i'm to suggest, just watch THE BUCKET LIST and listen to Miley Cyrus THE CLIMB. It's inspiring.

Life is not just about prizes, but what we've been through and how we did it that means a lot more.

R. said...

...^^v....
I'm still on this road wherein I do not know what I want to do. I'm really taking my time on this. When I do get on that next job, I am hoping that it will be where I'd really want to be, doing what I love doing.

Thank you so much for your insights.Ü I will find time to watch Bucket List again. By the way, you are the second person who's told me about THE CLIMB. I will look for it. Thanks again!

D.L. Verzosa said...

thank you so much for your warm birthday greeting. May God bless you and your family.

about the white forest cake, it was superb, better that what i've expected. yum-o!

K.noizki said...

Russ, I'd have to agree in all what you said 'getting out in our comfort zone and try new things'.

I want to try that, well I did, failed and still the most loyal person on my job. Would you believe I've worked for the same company for 18 yrs now and people would tease me like, “wow how much do you worth when you retire”? It's not funny, but put it this way, living abroad is not easy, finding a job from one place to another is not easy and supporting my family is obligatory (I'd say it because, that’s the reason why I work here).

So obviously, I am single so I work not for myself but for my family, the filipino culture that is – paying back what is due (but for how long?) yet I am ok with that.

Ten years ago, my goal was to earn, save, shop and enjoy life (I was young so ok lang before), pero now that I’m getting older, siguro, I’ll stick to the job na lang that pays me just enough to survive and buy a few Marc Jacobs, haha.

Oh well, as the saying goes, ”if it ain’t broke, why fix it?”

K

jak said...

Im in holiday right now hehehee...one week full (hurrayy!!)

Thank u for the wishes Russ and i have read Abby's words for me...that's nice words (i plan to rent the Bucket List as she recommend).

ps:wait for the good news when u get ur new job yah...

Post a Comment