Health is one of the most precious gifts that we have and we should love our body for what it is and for what it can be – not only for what it looks on the outside. For the record, it has been six months since I decided to have a lifestyle change. I exercise and I go for the good stuff now, BUT I am not perfect. Despite this inclination towards healthy eating, I sometimes get tempted to eat Inasal or the Quarter-Pounder at McDonald’s or a slice of pizza from Sbarro or a sinful cake from Bizu and my list goes on. I'm not this immaculate health-food saint.. nuh-uh.
One thing I have learned since I started on this journey six months ago is that, while exercise and what we eat are important, it is also necessary that the people around you support what you do. Having the right attitude is good, but it helps when family and friends, even co-workers – give the much-needed extra inspiration and motivation. In fact this holds true for getting any goal, whether it be weight loss, winning the heart of the girl of your dreams, fantastic grades in school, or a promotion at work. When we focus and when we are surrounded with a positive “circle of influence and support”, we are empowering and giving ourselves a greater chance to change from the inside out.
Though not everyone around me exercises and eats healthy, I’m glad that most of them are my cheerleaders. I’m always being encouraged to do what must be done if they get the slightest hint that I’m having one of those lazy days.. reminded not to eat rice when they see that rice-looks-so-good-look on my face.. cheered on things that I am doing right and for even trying. What makes me happier is that some of them even volunteer to eat with me so that they too may be inspired. I love how positive and helpful my family and friends are with this.
19 September, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 Comments:
Wow! Such a supportive family. With those great people around you, getting that goal will be easier. Best of luck, as always.
Hi Russ!thank you so much for the comment on my last post. I am trying to be strong now, and thanks to you guys, I'll be back on my feet soon!
I read your post, and I am so with you. I also had a lifestyle change two years ago. Well, not that I nee to lose some weight, but because I have a healthier life. The thought started when I joined yoga classes which opened my mind to trying out an holistic approach to a healthier and fitter me by adjusting everything from eating habits, choices, to lifestyle change. And it helped me a lot because not only did i lost some extra weight (from 27 in waist to 24. yum!), but I also felt healthier. Unfortunately, the stress in my personal life right now makes me sick.
Anyhow, I wish you goodluck with your goals. It's good that your family is there to support you. they say that support group is very much important in the way to healthy living. keep us updated dear!
and oh, the book: "french women don't get fat"is a good read. take a peek to know why. hehe. mwah's =)
great stuff, russ!
living healthy is never healthy esp during this age of fast and/or junk food. so happy you have your own personal cheering squad! :D
PS: you kind of inspired me to start going to the gym, too, ya knowww? :)
moral support is really necessary...how many pounds have you lost?=)
Your everyday lifestyle inspired me to have a healthy living--I'm also trying you know^_^I'm trying to finally give up my love to beer--instead drinking every night,every Friday na lang.Just 1 can,para di naman ako ma-stress lol!\(^0^)/
You're lucky to have a very supportive family and friends!!Good luck,Russ!!^_^
CLARISSA.
Thank youuuu! I'm happy to have somewhat inspired you. I've stopped drinking beer since I can't remember, but I still drink because I don't think I'd live without booze -- it's just not beer. Vodka & Wine are my favorites. Go hard Clarissa.
JASSY.
Can't divulge yet. I will announce in one of my posts SOON.Ü
ACEY.
That's great! Lemme know how it goes. If you wanna exchange notes about gym life, I'm here :D
ABBY.
From 27 to 24 -- WOW! That's huge! I'm sure you're very much pleased with that change. I've always wanted to try Yoga, but I don't know of any place here in my area that offers Yoga. My friends who do Yoga go all the way to Makati.Ö
I saved the title of the book in my phone, I'll get a copy when I hit the mall one of these days. Thanks Abby, hope you feel better soon.Ü
RICO.
It's important for me that they're like that. I can just imagine how difficult it would be if let's say my Mom bought junk food and made unhealthy stuff. Everything's been good, not just for me. It's also beneficial for everyone here at home.
Haha, Russ, I enjoyed this post. It's either someone would tease you to eat the ones you're avoiding or these foods are there to really tease on you.
I started to change my lifestyle 2months ago, no not (saving for the rainy days) cutting my eating, but my smoking. It's hard. I went back, stop, then back again and STOP - because everything you turned your head away, there's 7-11 stores, how can you let them go?
I think we should get the right attitude in doing what we want to achieve, kahit may distrations sa paligid. If we can get a shower by 7am, pee at every 30mins (guys don't, haha!) or brush teeth every meal, why not eat only the food we suppose to eat, right?
Remember, you do this for you, not for them - teka... baka for someone kaya you want to lose more lbs? Ahems.
K
i wish people i work with can be as supportive. it's hard when i control what i eat and they make tampo when i don't want what they want to eat.
Thank you for being such an inspiration not only for myself but for all your blog readers :)
I am glad to know that you get all the needed support to continue on ur "healthy lifestyle" journey :)
Good luck dearie!
xoxo
K.
So how's it going with the smoking thing? Are you experiencing nicotine withdrawal? Gosh ha, I think that' even harder than eating right. I have heard and seen my friends vow that they will stop smoking but they always cave in. So if you're on your second month, WOW! Keep it up.
Nope, not losing weight for someone. I'm forced to. I had a surgery last year and some major health complications so I have to learn to love this change of lifestyle.Ü
CLARE.
"..they make tampo when i don't want what they want to eat." → Na-sad ako here :(
LUCIA.
Aww. Thank you too dearie.Ü 6 months on this journey and counting.
It's butterscotch pudding dear =)
Wish my dad would get me a gym membership! Hehe. You're lucky to have a supportive family. :) Good luck!
you're a runner huh! high-five! i'm just starting to run ^^
i'm not that good yet and i huff n puff like a cow, seriously, but i'm liking it so far
goodluck with the weight loss!you can do it!wheeee!
p.s.thanks for dropping by my blog
xx
TRUE! My brother's on a diet right now, and it really helps when we support him in the process. Also, when you know that others are with you, you somehow feel that you are not just doing it for yourself but for them na rin. Good luck, Russ!
By the way, my brother does not go to the gym; he just lessens his rice intake, and noticeably, he loses weight gradually. :)
Post a Comment