I ate horribly at my last job. Most mornings, I skipped breakfast and then I'd have a huge lunch, then fast food dinner because I am usually too tired to eat when I get home.. not to mention all of the snacking, soda, and coffee runs during meetings, official breaks, and self-declared breaks when I’m stressed out because of people who give unreasonable demands. Oh and all the calorie-fic night caps that happen almost every night.
Each time I look back at that kind of lifestyle, I cringe. So I’m very thankful right now that I don’t have to be like that anymore. It’s not right when we let our environment and emotions control how we eat. If I do get back to working, it might be a challenge for me to keep and maintain the healthy lifestyle that I have now embraced. I can just imagine all the temptations out there. My home is a controlled environment. We don’t have unhealthy stuff here because my brother is also a health buff; both he and I have convinced Mom to eat healthy as well. We really have to learn to take back control of our eating habits.
Don’t skip breakfast. Substitute soda and fancy coffees with water.
Bring packed lunch and healthy snacks. Make better choices when dining out. And of course, exercise if you can.
Yes, they are easier said than done but always remember that THEY CAN BE DONE. We may not see and experience the effects of an unhealthy lifestyle right now, but why wait to get sick? It can be prevented. Improving one’s health requires baby steps. It takes discipline and knowing what to prioritize. You do so much for your job or business, but none of it will matter if you let your health slide. You can have a good balance with a little extra effort.
Be positive enough to put in an honest effort and see what happens. If you can exercise, better. Be patient; take things one day at a time. There are no shortcuts and most of all, don’t expect instant results or lose motivation when results do not come.
16 September, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 Comments:
My eating habits of late totally suck. I wake up very late so I skip breakfast altogether. Sometimes when no one serves lunch I skip it too. I'm really bad, my diet needs an overhaul. So do my sleeping habits!
super. i want to tell everyone about the right way of eating and i do know that they KNOW it but they think it's too ma-effort. =\
NINA.
You know what they say? Knowing is half the battle. Next step would be to tweak and/or slowly fix your eating habits. I know you can do it, goodluck Nina.Ü
STEPH.
I have a friend who just sent me an SMS, asked me what food to eat. She's also complaining that if you're living in the Philippines, living and eating healthy is twice as hard because you're really limited when it comes to choices. I guess this is one reason why most people find eating right "ma-effort".
We also cannot let go of the fact that eating healthy stuff is usually more expensive compared to a regular meal. Did you notice that?
I totally agree. Ayaw lang talaga ng ibang tao minsan. Hanggat wala silang nararamdaman go lang sila. Just like me.
I admit I still smoke up to now. Though nabawasan na siya. I still smoke period. Haaay buhay!
We are what we eat.
I normally skip breakfast, ashamed to admit but I also tend to eat more late night, which is bad. Maybe it is in the routine. If we start to follow simple rules on eating-on-time, then you'd probably see me pestering those folks at the McDo for my pancakes every morning.
Wala eh, iba talaga yung Pinoy way of eating, 3x a day (on time). See, being single is not easy and you can't save, methinks, naku sa labas na lang kakain.
Pero bakit yung mga tofu people, they eat so baboy on our cafeteria (sorry not trying to be rude) pero slim pa rin sila, kainis.
K
I really wish I have your discipline. Ako, my eating habits are really, really bad. That's why I always thought I'd probably die of some intestinal/digestive malady someday.
It's hard to have a good eating habit when you work on the graveyard shift and you're almost flushed in the morning and eating breakfast is the last thing you want to do.
actually yes... a lot had been asking me for some advice regarding their diet and i did have a hard time finding some inexpensive alternatives because if you're gonna go long-term, it's gonna take up a lot of your cash. =\ guess that's one of the reasons why it's so easy to gain weight--all the inexpensive stuff are filled with processed fatty ingredients. =( ever since i started eating healthy, gah... it really is annoying how expensive the choices are. =( that's why a friend once told me "wala bang ibang pagkain na pwede? masyado atang sosyal kung susundin ko ung mga nasa libro..."
true. lol. dapat mas mura na mga healthy stuff (though impossible because of the process they go through)... hahaha. like cigarettes and alcohol--mas mahal para madiscourage. i think they're having this petition sa US na gawing mas mahal lahat nung fatty foods.
The girl with the flour in her hair.
That's true. The long-term results are awesome, not only are they good for the body, but they also make you feel great.
VAYIE.
I agree that it's not easy to have good eating habits when you have that kind of schedule. Actually, hindi lang pag graveyard shift, kahit pag regular work hours - super daming temptations lalo na pag yung mga nakapaligid sayo puro kain and break time ang ginagawa.
STEPH.
Hahaa! If that happens, it will certainly discourage people to eat the unhealthy stuff BUT for sure, may food industry na masasagasaan. Yay!
BABY BOY.
It's a person's choice.Ü
i agree with what you wrote. btw, day 5 of my calorie counting.=) I need to find food list that are low in calories=)
hello! Ü im having my night visit. take care. xD
Oh, I can imagine your eating habits before. All the fastfood and coffee! Masaya pa naman kumain kapag stressed out. I'm glad things are better now for you, Ate Russ.
This is actually my weakness. The thing with me naman is that I eat a range of food that's healthy and not healthy. I eat lots of fruits and veggies, and I never skip breakfast. Kaso, I also eat lots of meat pa rin and rice everyday. Plus I love fried stuff. Haha. I think kasi, I won't diet na lang, ibabawi ko na lang sa exercise. =D
Good job Russ! Healthy people are always more positive.
Very nice blog! Found your blog thru Abby of Breathing Space, I followed you ^_^
napainom ako ng maraming water when i read this. parang may subconscious na urge to drink water bigla...no kidding.
' as they always say, "we are what we eat."
- nice of you to point out that having better eating habits would not only determine how we look but more importantly it can lead us to health and optimum function. if we put much efforts on how we look, we shud put more effort on watching out what we eat.. =)
Ganyan din ako dati--I skip breakfast!I really need to discipline myself.Minsan nagi-guilty ako whenever I over-eat for sometimes,palagi kong ginagawang rason to double my excersice menu (yung sinulat ko dati)I have to discipline more--thanks for this post,Russ!!
Post a Comment