☮.♥.✮ ☀..✈: Love Yourself More. Exericse.
14 May, 2009

We usually complain about our weight, but are we really doing enough? I know of friends who diet and diet and diet, but still end up getting disappointed. When I decided that I want to have this healthy kind of lifestyle almost two months ago, I realized that dieting is not enough. Better results are achieved when one strikes a good balance between exercise and eating right.

In almost all of my post-op consultations with my doctors, I've complained that I was consistently gaining weight despite the fact that I am closely monitoring what I eat and not really eating much. I was even asked for medicines that will help me shed off pounds, but I was not successful with that. Diet Pills aren't exactly the kind of solution that my doctors would recommend. The only thing that I was asked to do was to exercise.

This was me, almost 3 months ago.
This was taken during my 27th birthday, last February.


Exercise does wonders!Ü
This is one of my most recent photos. It was taken last May 1.

I know that it will not be easy. I am more than sure that there will be days that I'll feel tired or lazy and I'll find a way out of it. These were my challenges. I know that I am not the only person who experiences this. Some of my friends would tell me up to this day that I do not need to exercise and that I do not need to go the gym, but this is my body and more than anyone else, I think I'd know what's best for me. I actually did not need my doctors telling me to exercise. I already knew that I had to because since I put on extra weight after my surgery last year, I have become a little anti-social which is so not me. Believe it or not, I did isolate myself. I chose the people that I go out with. I started to hate photos ops and most of the time, the only color of clothes that I wear is black.

When I started to exercise, it was extremely difficult. I knew that I needed to have that initiative and at the same time I had to motivate myself because no one is going to do is for me. It’s all me. I started going to the gym three times a week and slowly increased it to four times a week. In a month’s time, I have lost seven pounds. More than that, I knew that I was losing inches because a lot of my clothes started to fit again. Right now, I try to go to the gym everyday – I do not need to lift weights on a daily basis. I make sure that I, at least, run for 30 minutes on the treadmill. I have read in one article that,
…30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity above and beyond one’s usual daily physical activity on most if not all days of the week provide a multitude of health benefits...
See? It’s not that hard. Being busy is not an excuse to not exercise. Come on, you only need half an hour of your day and your body gets a lot of benefits, such as
…such as a reduced risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, premature death, colon and breast cancer, and diabetes. It can also improve the health of muscles, bones, and joints. And studies are continuing to find that exercising regularly can reduce stress and improve mental health.
In the article, Exercise Benefits Weight Loss and Beyond, it tells us the 30 minute physical activity does not have to be done all at once. This means that you can combine certain activities that will suit you. In my case, when I am not at the gym, I box at Elorde in SM Southmall. I sometimes play badminton with my friends and I don’t care if I am no good at it. I also add an extra hour or two of non-stop walking when I am the mall. This still burns calories. I also offer to do the groceries. And when I am at home, I make time to clean my room. An hour of tidying up my room burns calories too! Click HERE if you want to learn more.

I know that I have already inspired and motivated some friends to lose weight by eating right and by exercising. I really want to influence more people. I will not sugarcoat things. I’ll give you the real deal:

There are no shortcuts to losing weight.

It is not a one shot deal. It is a commitment between yourself and your body. If you have decided to take on this path or should you decide to do so, here are some things that I want to share with you:
  • Don't just rely on the numbers that you see on the weighing scale.

  • Don't weigh yourself every time. My trainer says that once a month is good enough if you really have to.

  • Don't starve yourself. Eat 5 to 6 little meals a day.

  • Don't skip breakfast.

  • Keep in mind that your body will develop muscle and you may not see any weight loss for a while because of this. Restrict your intake of sugar and sodium. Sodium retains water.

  • And most of all, be good to yourself.Ü
  • Bookmark and Share

    10 Comments:

    Ivy said...

    sexiness! hehe:) buti may patience ka to really work-out! phew!

    rica said...

    hey russ, if you weigh, try the machine w/ the fat and muscle percentage, kasi i actually gained weight because i gained more muscles but lost fat. so that's what i monitor :) ian and i before joined the gym so we would have other stuff to do aside from movies, tapos we ended up going to the gym more than watching movies na! puro gym dates nalang :p nakaka addict kaya mag gym!

    JAmie! said...

    RUUUUUUUUUU, Its Jamie from the UK!! How are y!! You have my hotmail, send me a messgae with all you been up to :) xx

    R. said...

    IVY.
    Shucks. Ang hirap maghanap ng patience. Hahaha. Super dapat talaga you're focused and determined. I super love the show The Biggest Loser. On days na tinatamad ako magwork-out, I watch the show and boom -- game.. Gym! Hahaha. Every time I see the constestants there, I really tell myself na wala akong karapatan na maging tamad kase yung mga nandun, mas malalaki sila sakin pero sige lang, fight lang ng fight. Hehehe.

    R. said...

    RICA.
    I know! Super addicting sya. There was a time that I was sick, I was still at the gym. I feel sad pag hindi ako nakaka-workout. Hahaha. San ba kayo ni Ian? This machine that you're telling me, is this the one that you have to hold yung ends? Cheers to Gym Dates!

    acey said...

    whoo! you go, russ!!!

    but you know, you're pretty fat-ish or not. really. :D

    aBIGwhale said...

    hi russ! You look great!

    I've been exercising longer than you have.. But didn't get that result.. hehe..

    I don't do it regularly.. and that's they key.. And you're right, there are no shortcuts to losing weight.. just 30 mins a day of work out will do wonders..

    I have yet to fight the patience and determination to start exercising regularly..

    take care sexy!

    Cecille Carmela said...

    Hmmm.. I'm gaining weight these past few months.. I agree with you that it's HARD to be committed to your exercise routine but that's the only way to keep fit. I also read na kailangan yung purpose mo is deeper than just trying to lose weight, say for example you care about your health or you wanted to live longer.. in that way mas magiging committed ka to exercise. =D

    hmmm.. may i ask, do you allow followers in this blog? gusto ko kasi sana..

    R. said...

    ABBY.
    Shucks. I was not able to work out last week because of a stressful trip. I'm still trying to get my groove back.

    ACEY.
    I prefer to be not fat. Hahaha.

    CECILLE CARMELA.
    Yup, I allow followers. No prob with me.
    Thanks for visiting.

    Anonymous said...

    As for me, my problem was to GAIN WEIGHT. hahaha I was all stick and bones a few months ago. And funny thing, exercise also became my refuge. lol. I began surfing and I took up muay thai. I'm now satisfied with my weight of 110 lbs. They said it suits me more. I go to training once a week, swim and sometimes jog. It can indeed do wonders. :)

    Post a Comment