I am a first-time voter, which should have been the case 10 years ago. It was only now that I decided to stop being apathetic. I want to make my vote count. 10 days from now, the entire Philippines will be choosing new leaders. For 10 days, I will devote my posts for the man who I believe should lead our country.
✽
This is a good read, found this on Tumblr earlier today. I especially loved the last paragraph.
I have engaged in conversations with taxi drivers before, some brought feelings of unease and some brought moments of dullness. But just this afternoon, one particular manong gave his own two cents about the elections that made me realize the wisdom of these hardworking men driving white cars.
[I open the car door and get inside]
[a couple of minutes devoted to an awkward conversation about chicks & sex]
Taxi Driver: Oh, may napili ka na ba na iboboto mong presidente? (So, have you decided who to vote for president?)
Me: Meron na po. Baka po si Gibo o si Gordon. (Yes, it’s either Gibo or Gordon)
Taxi Driver: Ano?! Si Gordon? Wag na ‘yun anak…alam naman na hindi na ‘yun mananalo. Mabuti na lang kung si Gibo na. Kaya Gibo na. (Who?! Gordon? Don’t even bother voting for him because we all know that he would lose. It would be better if you would vote for Gibo.)
Me: Ah. haha. eh. ahhh….. [stares at the horizon]
[car passes by a wall full of political posters and banners, including one with Gibo’s]
Taxi Driver: Ayun! (There!) [pointing at Gibo’s poster]
So there, would you vote for someone who you know has a small chance of winning? Will you waste your one vote for someone like Dick Gordon or Gibo Teodoro who are trailing behind in the latest surveys? Would you even bother to shade one of their bilog na huigs itlog if the result of your integral decision might not have the power to increase the chances of a David-like leader defeat an incompetent Goliath?
Well, yes. Yes, I will. Yes, I would. Yes, I should.
