Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared • Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta, founder of Buddhism | 563-483 B.C.Last Monday, I went to SHARE A SMILE. It was the first charity gathering organized by one of my friends. Aside from wanting to get out of the house, I really wanted to share something to those who are not as fortunate as I am, even in my own little way. Sometimes we forget, that despite problems in our lives, we still have a lot to give.
If you'd recall from last Monday's post, I was busy putting together pencils by 2s ─ these were my contribution for Share A Smile. The agenda for the morning was to give Goodie Bags to a group of children from one of the communities supported by one of the local parishes inside BF Parañaque. If I'd make a guess, they're aged 3 to 10 years old .. so giving them chocolates, cookies, bread, and pencils was a good idea. These were things that children would normally appreciate and enjoy.



Generosity. Charity. These do not require grand or heroic gestures. What matters is you're doing it because you want to. There is no need to travel some place else. I have always believed that we should help those who are in our own communities. All we need do is to have the initiative to give something back to society. Every encounter is an opportunity to give. Yes, material things are nice but I think that a far better gift that we can offer to others is TIME ─ as our only nonrenewable possession, it is precious.



This is just the beginning.I would want to continue doing this. I'm already making plans in my head to have a Part 2 in February 2010, the weekend of my birthday. This is just the beginning. I'll keep the fire burning.

19 Comments:
May God bless your generosity,Russ.You have a kind heart--please continue the good deeds of doing so.I love to see those happy faces of the kids!!May God bless you more!!^_^
Merry Christmas to you and your family,Russ!!May your Christmas are full of smiles!!^_^
very fulfilling ano? charity completes you. :D
merry christmas!
hi russ! what a nice nice way to make people happy! and you're right, you don't need grand or big actions to help!
merry christmas!
CLARISSA.
Thank youu dear. I believe that God will give us back ten-fold or more whatever it is that we share. Merry Christmas.Ü
THE SCUD.
Yes, that is the word: FULFILLING :)
Merry Christmas to you too.
GRACE.
Sincere gestures, no matter how small can mean a lot too. Merry Christmas.Ü
let me know if you'll do this on your birthday. i'd love to help if i can.
clare
Thank you for making the world be a happier place for these kids dearie :)
I know ur not doing this so that you get something in return (to see their smiles is enough of a reward,right?),but one day the love you share with others will come back to you <3
I am glad i know such an amazing woman as you are.*hugs*
You're so generous Russ! That's the true meaning of Christmas: sharing! Anyway, Merry Christmas from moi!
Red Cross mems! =D Russ naiinggit ako sa comic style editing ng photos! I want! Then again, wala na akong camera oh well. See you real soon! Merry Christmas!
I think it's great what you're doing! You really do have a great personality love.
Merry christmas!
loves
That's a great thing to do--and you are so right. Even what we think of as small gestures can mean so much to others. Plus, by helping others we can help ourselves too. Doing a good deed or small act of kindness puts me in a good mood.
Bless your heart, Russ.
Wow! That is awesome Russ! :) I miss doing such! :D I'm really proud of you for being so generous. :) I admire people like you.
Btw, you'll be really blessed this Christmas! :) Hugs!!!
PS -- Looove the pics. haha
RUSSSS!!! AWESOMEEEEEEE!!!
Merry Christmas,Russ!!Enjoy this Holiday Season!!^_^
CLARE.
I'll let u know if I have definite plans already for Feb 2010, thanks for showing interest with the little activity :)
LUCIA.
That's right sweetie,
I'm not after material things.
CHARLES.
Thanks Charles, just giving something back and wanting these children to feel extra special on Christmas.
BEN.
Gah. I am ADDICTED to this comic strip thing. It makes caption-ing photos easier and it's tons of fun Benny. My most recent albums in FB are all like this na. Haha. Merry Christmas too, see you on Sunday :)
TOOTHFAIRY.
Thank you sweetie.
Merry Christmas too.
RICADEMUS.
True. True. I was on a natural high after our charity gathering :)
VAYIE.
Maraming Salamat Vayie.
Maligayang Pasko.
STEPH.
I hope not just this Christmas. I'm so hoping for a better 2010. 2009 kase has been so-so. Not as bad as 2008, but it wasn't awesome.
JAK + CLARISSA.
Thank you guys.
Maligayang Pasko :)
Haha ang bagal nio daw mag-repack.At least the waiting was worth it.
Merry Xmas, Russ.
Post a Comment