Another year is about to end. As I look back, I'd still say that I have been blessed. Most of you know that the Philippines have experienced tragedy after another tragedy, especially in the last quarter of the year. We've had super typhoons, massacres, and even volcanic eruptions. A lot of people have been displaced, lost their homes, were not able to go to school, lost all their hard-earned possessions.Ö
Life hurts. There are just parts of it that really suck. Look at enough people's lives and you’ll find more pain than can fill twice those many lifetimes. There's always something to hurt over, to cry over, if you care enough to care. Some people's lives, especially when they’re young, make me want to ask why they have to go through all this.
Some people look at the pain and suffering in the world and say that this serves as proof that there can be no God, or at least not a loving God they would want to worship. Guess what? I believe in a loving God. And I believe in a painful world. I believe in a God who cries over the injustices and pain with us. I also believe in a God who loved us enough to give us free will, who loved us enough not to rob us of that or change everything we did once we ruined the world he gave us. So if we blow things and create a hard world for ourselves, why do we go blame God? We want all the credit for the good things we manage to squeeze out of life, but when our actions contribute to an overall ruining of society, it's always blamed to something or someone else. Have enough guts to acknowledge that God can be God over both the good and the bad. Just because you can’t prove him doesn’t mean he’s not there. Who wants a God who fits into a logical equation anyway? I certainly don't. But I do believe in a God who cancels the equations by allowing us our free will and still finding a way to cause all the evil to somehow work out for an ultimate good.
If I'd created people who constantly were turning away from me to run after their selfish, petty games, I certainly wouldn't still be trying to redeem what they've done. I wouldn't be trying to redeem them. But he does. I don't know about you, but I find that pretty amazing.
30 December, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 Comments:
Hi Russ, We have many beliefs in common...we can't blame God for bad things that occur through nature or things that people decide to do. Looking back, I would say that when I was a tiny child my life and my family...um, well, they sucked. That wasn't God's fault. It's just how it was. But when I think about what's happened in the Philippines this year and the people I've met who grew up in war zones, I know that really I was very lucky. As you said, life hurts, but I never experienced any real tragedy. So I try to look on the bright side of things and look for tomorrow to be a good day. I think it will be!
That's true...
God is not to be blamed. He's always leading us to the right path yet we don't listen because of that "free will" He gave us. Evil happens because of us not listening... God is there to guide and we have the choice to follow or not.
I'm glad I met you Russ this year... :)
Have a happy new year! :)
Agree with you dearie.
When something bad happens, people blame it on God or they say He does not exist...but who is there to thank Him for all the good ones? No one? Or only a few, which is sad, right?
Somehow i believe it is our own decisions that make us unhappy, and not Him.
And to those who don't believe all i can say is that we don't see the air, yet we know it exists, right? <3
Have faith, that's all it takes :)
Post a Comment