Are you? On Facebook?
I am not surprised that Facebook was blocked in my old office ─ even the super gods were hooked that they can't concentrate during Mancoms and other meetings. Someone is presenting and it was a typical to see your boss "super-poking". I signed up for Facebook because one of the super gods at work invited me.
But aren't we all addicted to something? Before Facebook, there was Friendster. Weren't people obsessed with it before that you're almost obliged to write a testimonial for your friend? When I was in college, I remember that we weren't allowed to access this site in school. When mobile phones were made available to everyone, people were text-ing like crazy thus the term KITIKI-TEXT was coined. Was that an addiction problem? Is addiction really the problem or is there something bigger? For sure, it is not just Facebook, there is a site that keeps us busy almost 24/7.
I still see this as progress, something needed as times change. We are unconsciously penetrated by the information, whether useful or not, and we both benefit and struggle with it. Humans are social creatures and we always have this need to connect and along with this need is the solution given to us by social networking sites on a higher level. We just have to remind ourselves to do everything in moderation, without sacrificing productivity at work, in school, or at home.Ü
MANILA - Facebook users beware. Psychologists are now probing a new kind of addiction called Facebook Addiction Disorder (FAD). Psychologist Dr. Michael Fenichel, who has published numerous writings on FAD online, describes it as a situation in which Facebook usage "overtakes" daily activities like waking up, getting dressed, using the telephone, or checking e-mail. "The amazing thing is that, like cellphones, nobody seems to notice the vast amount of time and energy - at work, at home, and now while on the move - people are devoting to Facebook. It has become a given," Fenichel writes in an online post titled "Facebook Addiction Disorder- A New Challenge?" FAD could be classified under the more broad "internet addiction disorder" or internet overuse. | Read the rest of the article here.

25 Comments:
I'm definitely on FB and yes, my office has blocked the application! They haven't block Twitter yet, though I'm still trying to figure out how Twitter works:)
Glad you liked the roses post and that it has special meaning to you! Isn't it amazing how God works?
Added you to my blogroll, sweetie:)
xx
Sher
i don't have a facebook account and even friendster.. i'm not just into social networking sites... I love mmorpgs.. anywayz,.. my friend is really hooked into FB.. lolz.. and she opens her computer at 6am and close it around 12:00 midnight..
i already warned her but she didn't follow me just like what is expected.. hehe.. she's really hooked into FB games..
I go to Facebook but I won't be considered an FB addict pa naman. I don't play the applications there (Farmville, Mafia Wars, Fish Tank, etc). Some of my friends are totally hooked that when it's breaktime at the office, they go to FB.
Magsasawa rin tayo. I hardly sign-in to my Friendster when a few years back, `yun ang unang binubuksan once we go online.
for some reason i was never addicted to friendster. i always created and deleted accounts there -- creating because friends invite me then deleting because i can't keep up. lol!
w/ facebook i just don't have the patience for games there. di lang siguro talaga ako mahilig sa games. thankfully di ako addicted sa FB...sa blogging lang. hahaha!
I have an FB account but NEVER played any game, nor uploaded much photos. Just wanted tos ee old friends & check them out once in a while, but over all, I'm nowhere near an addict, in fact, I'm much addicted to reading posts here in Blogspot! =D
Thanks for sharing this =)
Signed up with FB years ago but only recently have been exploring the added aps. So far so good.
More apps please!
in my case, my addition is tumblr. :] there are just a lot of cool things you can discover there. my friend even suggested that it's like... cultural education. :D
And I don't like "game-applications" for me they are just waste of time, why FB if you only want to make a FARM? LOL.
I thought I was addicted to FB, hindi pala - I pick twitter, twitpic, twitdeck over FB-ing, really. You don't worry about people reading it or responded to your tweets, a single word to tweet means "online success" already.
I mean, do you still use online chat?
K
SHER.
Well if they do block Twitter, I'm sure there is one Twitter app there that isn't blocked so you'd still be able to get on it.Ü
PATOLA.
Oh dear! Your friend's totally hooked! For real ─ 6AM to 12Midnight? And that's mostly Facebook. WOW!
VAYIE.
"Magsasawa rin tayo..." ─ I agree sister! I was already planning to delete my Friendster account, thing is, I cannot remember the e-mail & password that I used. Well Friendster naman is super my college days. Hehe.
I have facebook, but i don't work in an office, so I can only access it while I'm at home or on my phone.
They have proxy's you can go through to get by things like that though.
Thanks for the comment on my blog. <3
CLARE.
Blogging is also my addiction ─ I think it's pretty obvious if I've been here for 6 years now. You learn so much pa from blogging, about culture, new things, food, movies, etc etc etc.Ü
GEM.
That's one really nice thing about Facebook: you see old friends. I even found my Prep classmates and my grade school best friends who all migrated to other countries.
RICO.
LOL. Just be careful not to get too addicted. A lot of the apps are pretty cool, though some of them can really devour your time.
WEDNESDAY.
I'm discovering, exploring, and starting to love Tumblr ─ thanks to you! On CULTURAL EDUCATION → I agree.Ü
Another thing that I like about Tumblr is that I see a lot of things that I'd want to do let's say when I get back to work. Sooo many inspirations for events, Marketing & Advertising tools that have not been done here.
K.
Good point!Ü I don't have patience for the Farm Apps. I rarely chat and get on Yahoo! Messenger. Even before, I was never the chat-type of person.Ö
I never got hooked on the FB apps. I think it's just silly. My former professor created an account and she just keeps on taking quiz after quiz!
im hooked sa games :) haha..
i heard about "FAD" kanina while i was hanging out at my sister's room visiting my nephew..
lo and behold :) I read it here in your blog.. for those who's FB has been blocked.. even proxy servers? sabi ng iba you can use proxy servers.. but i don't know how to do that haha
LOL. I think I have a CWAD. :P Cafe World Addiction Disorder. Lol. Even though I don't feel like waking up, when cafe world suddenly comes up to my mind, I would jolt out of my bed and say "MGA NILUTO KOOO!!!" lol... really crazy! It really makes me wake up cos i'm scared that my dishes would get spoiled. lol.
facebook addiction will pass just like myspace, friendster...=)
We all have a need for social interaction. Some need it to be loud and wild, others quiet and intimate.
I do have a FB account, but I rarely use it. The first month was fun, the second month was pretty much a repeat of the first month, by then I was bored of it.
As for FaceBook Addiction Disorder? I think it is just a fad ;-)
I can't relate about facebook coz i didn't registered any facebook account yet..but as of now i'm trying to have one. hopefully.
WOW. FAD. That is something new! :)
Hahaha!
Haay nako. Facebook. Nobody visits Multiply anymore. Whenever I go online, I only see 6 to 15 people out of the hundred contacts that I have. And Facebook? Updates seem to drown every nth second. =/
I used to confirm all friend requests before. I didn't have that much in my Facebook anyway. I was on FB even before it became a hit in the Philippines. But now, I'm so picky when it comes to approving requests because of all those TAGS. Gah.
im done with my addiction to farmtown haha...but i still have fb, didnt ban it from my daily peeks. have to go see my friends tru there.
missing your visits russ ;)
NINA.
I don't like those quizzes too, floods my news feed a lot that I don't get to see what my other friends are up to.
AB.
Not sure 'bout the proxy servers. I'll ask you about that when I see you. You got me curious.Ü
STEPH.
LOL. You're like my brother.
JASSY.
Exactly my thoughts too. I kind of think that FAD is a little bit exaggerated, but I know that we can't discount the fact that a lot of people can't fully concentrate on the things that they're supposed to do because their online lives. Hehe.
RICHARD.
Nice one! I agree. And just like other fads, there will eventually come a time when people will get tired of it, especially when something new comes along.
ALKAPON.
Goodluck with you on that.Ü Let me know if you like it or not.
NOELLE.
Yup. Multiply is like a ghost town now. All my friends who used to be very active in Multiply are all in Facebook now.
JENIE.
Hahaa. Yea, I have a lot of friends who are addicted to Farm Town and the other farm app plus the restaurant app.
Lol...FAD - totally fad. True, magsasawa rin.
I was once addicted to anything online but I got past the stage by stress, or breakdown. So, pag nakafeel na sila na hindi maganda sa katawan nila, sigurado, titigil din yang mga yan..hahah
But until now, I am online most of the time with blogging and some FB and friendster, just so maintaining my accounts but hindi na tulad ng dati na babad na babad. babad na lang hahha.
And im trying to divert my attention to reading books again, because masama sa mata ang monitor - im sure marami jan meron din astigmatism (headaches anyone?)
actuall i was hooked on facebook phenomenon... and now im addicted with blogging : )
I created an account at FB due to curiosity of the game--some blogger has a post on it and that the game is soo addicting.I tried the game kaya lang ewan ko ba kung talagang engot ako or whatever,di ko talaga maintindihan kung bakit naho-hook ang iba sa game na yun.But the good news is,some friends of mine added me to their friends lists.^_^
Post a Comment