I absolutely ♥-ed my Sunday! My friends and I decided to have a few drinks after all the yummy Taco Salad, Abby's delish Quesadilla, and delicious Maki that we ate at the bazaar in Tahanan Village. Conversations are usually interesting and bring much delight. They can be funny and level-up to funnier.
This story was shared tonight; it really happened to one of our ATEs. Our Ate and her boyfriend were exchanging text messages. One part of the text conversation goes like this:
TEXT 1: LOL!I was amused! For sure it wasn't generation gap. Times haves surely changed. I would probably get the same reply + will definitely be scolded if I text-ed my Mom and told her, "LOL Mom!". If we pick up from there, we'll see how much language has evolved. Yup, we were talking about that. Sounds geeky huh?
TEXT 2: Ulul ka rin!
Through time, communication has become a little complicated in a slightly confusing way - which does not seem to be good because if this were the case, it actually defeats the purpose of verbal interaction. However, we really do not have that much of a choice because the "development" is a global thing so either we update ourselves so we can cope with the changing times or we just shrug it off. You guys might find the next things hilarious, but please bear with me. No, my friends and I are not losers. People like us exist and there are most likely a lot of other peeps out there who are like us too.Ü
So on Sunday evening, my friends and I got a grasp of these "short cuts". We were discovering and exploring this lingo that is practically very much alien to us. We promised ourselves that we will update each other each time we learn something new. We do know LOL and OMG, but it IS time to pick up something new. We learned these:
| OMW | → On My Way | |
| BV | → Bad Vibes | |
| GL | → Good Luck | |
| AMP | → Amputa! | |
| BFF | → Best Friends Forever | |
| FML | → Fuck My Life | |
| IDK | → I Don't Know | |
| FTW | → Fuck The World | |
| ROFL | → Rolling On Floor Laughing | |
| LMAO | → Laughing My Ass Off |
It does not stop there.Ü If you'd notice, my list is really short, only shows how little my friends and I know about this lingo. If you have something that you can pass on to me, I would really love to learn from you. It will be much appreciated.
---
This is insane.Ö I wrote this at 4:45AM because I can't sleep.
I will try to get some ZzZzz now. Good Morning!Ü

34 Comments:
I learned LOL four/five years ago! I had to ask him if he called me ulol. I was hurt pa noon kasi i really don't like the word!
so ang AMP ay amputa talaga?? sabi nila may iba daw meaning un??
thanks for letting me know what FTW means! di ko kasi talaga alam! :| and OMW! haaa! di ko alam un!
lmao is one of the overused expressions that I don't use. I find it hard to type!
i only know common "short cuts":
brb- be right back
btw- by the way (or BETWEEN daw sabi ng step mom ko haha)
ttyl- talk to you later
roflol- rolling on floor laughing out loud (sobra!)
and oh!
bb (byebye!)
my 11year-old sister asked me and my friends what does FML mean. sabi nya "ate yung F ba ung bad word?", tapos "FML fck my lover?" I'm pretty sure she she wasnt aware of its meaning...di sya tumigil kakatanong for 2 days. naisipan din nyang mag google.
BTW - by the way
NP - no problem
YW - your welcome
sigh. i miss my high school friends...
ftw can also be for the win. :]
i didn't know about OMW. i'll use it starting now. haha. though i still text with no abbreviations.
You can add this "ROTFLMAO", to make it more, well, good to be true.
Lately I've seen bloggers uses B/SIL (Brother/Sister in Law). i think these chat-lingo are ok to use except that it irritates me whenever I see someone blog or comment like mGndA sNa ciA kYa LnG pnGiT uGli nYa.
Naku....
K
you should check this page out:
http://www.disabled-world.com/communication/text-shortcuts.php
i saw it a few months ago and remembered it just now after reading your post...there's so many shortcuts pala for SMS/chat that i didn't know. i still can't remember everything well enough to use them naman. :P
WEDNESDAY.
I never abbreviate or use shortcuts whenever I'm sending a text message or talking to friends on YM. I always take time to spell out all the words. SOMETIMES acronyms and shortcuts are lead to miscommunication.
Oops. Well, OMW may not be an official word, but I have a friend who uses it all the time.Ö
K.
ROTFLMAO → Someone should have said something utterly funny.
I agree with you that this kind of writing is irritating, "mGndA sNa ciA kYa LnG pnGiT uGli nYa." Ang hirap talaga intindihin, nakakasakit ng ulo. Parang you're always trying to solve a puzzle.Ö
CLARE.
My brother said I had a funny look on my face when I saw the page that you wanted me to look at. Hahaa. Thanks for sharing that one Clare, big help!
smile1ove.
I'm not really sure about AMP's other meaning, but so far, that's what I was told last night.Ü TTYL - ROFLOL - BB. OMG!Ü
AILEE.
Are you serious? You're Welcome na nga lang, ginawan din ng shortcut ... laugh trip!
I hate "txt" shortcuts, but acronyms are okay. AMP. Wala nito here. I love it! Haha. And, woohoo! for taking time to spell out words in YM/SMS. I'm not alone in being OC!
LOL! Mybhsuabnd hate reading text messages esp when my sibs are texting me and I asked him to read for me..
Marveling Memories
Etcetera Etcetera
Spice Up your Life!
Obstacles & Glories
even i hate that kind of language, i still use it coz it helps when i'm too lazy to text...i often use "LOL"
i sometimes say, "keep it on the DL (down low)" kapag super excited magkwento ang sino man. parang hush naman, hehe:)
of course im serious.. hehehe y naman po???
FTW? hmmm... i like that one!
medical acronyms marami akong alam...hehe=)
russ,its good to read all about you.
missing you tuloy...
im learning about the thyroid hype, have a few in my family who got dx (that belongs to the nursing world shortcuts..diagnosed)with it. your sites are really helpful.
Pareho tayo. Older ago kay wifey by a few months pero mas knowledgeable sya when it comes to text speak. I hate it when people use those words, hindi ko kasi ma-gets. Haynaku!
hi Russ! dropping by again.
yep, with all the hype on abbreviations and shortcuts because of text messaging most students become so "bobo" with spelling. i've been teaching college students for almost 6 years now and trust me it gets worse each year! i also get annoyed with jumbled capital and small letters ("mGndA sNa ciA kYa LnG pnGiT uGli nYa.") pati yung gumagamit ng "q" like in "aqu, aqoh" and yung additional H sa dulo like "tenk u poh!". goodness!
i rarely cut my words too when texting. COZ and BCOZ lang ata gnagamit kong shortcut but the rest are really complete.
anyways, one of the best abbrevs i've learned from my students is TIMYAP- as in T*ng Inang Mukha Yan Ang Pangit. hahaha! grabe.
HAHAHA!
I use LMAO a lot, but not everyone knows what it means.
FTW could also mean for the win.
UG2BK- u got to be kidding.
ahh... there's more that i barely even use. it is indeed amusing how words could evolve to really lazy acronyms. hehe.
Ooh, what about IKR - I know, right? Pero hay. Bakit naman kasi kailangan pa mag shortcut?
I remember saying LOL and WTF in yahoo! And she already knows it. Good thing I trained her well in YM =)
thanks for sharing your thought in my heartQUAKES. true, lovers SHOULD be friends. and yes, i was referring to former lovers...because most people, after gettting separated they end up hurting each other! which should not be the case. it's a losing game on you're part to be holding on to grudges instead of living in peace. forgiveness gives you freedom.
visit back=)
Russ!!! From the compound to your blog! Good job! Dami ko tuloy natutunan. This age gap is really rubbing on me. I cant understand kids now! haha! Sobrang old ko na =)
I have noticed that i only use these "short cuts" when i talk to someone in English :D
We don't use any in Slovak language,only those normal ones like: e.g.,etc.,p.12...those that are also listed in dictionaries,and are not considered to be slag words,cause i think that all these english ones (brb,lol,lmao...)are slag expressions :)
It is convenient to use them when texting or chatting online as u save space and time,but i do hope that people won't start using them when talking to each other face to face cause that would sound funny i think.Imagine u hear a joke and instead of starting to laugh u just say LMAO :D
hahahah true true...
there was this one term i thought was a new term (you probably saw this in one of the comments posted to one of my posts): tayna
i asked a lot of people about this and they were like "baka patay na" or something. i also thought it was a swear word of some sort cos it sounds like it IS a swearword haha it just happened that it was TYAN pala. i read the sentence for a bit and realized that he's prolly talking about tyan cos of the abs thing. haha
JEN + EYMI.
I don't do text shortcuts myself. I intentionally don't do text shortcuts to be a good example to the younger generation, most of them are my cousins. I even teach them to avoid shortcuts and to avoid using q, x, c, and h when they need to send something through SMS -- (ie | kc, aq, xa) tendency is to misspell words when you're writing formal documents :(
ATE CARRIE.
I've seen a longer list of words, but I think the ones that we talked about last Sunday are the ones that are commonly used. I'll share the list with you.Ü
LUCIA.
I think it can be acceptable when you chat because you can easily ask what the other person is talking about. The English expressions that you mentioned, seems like they're a universal thing.Ö Carine's Singaporean, she knows them too right? I'm not sure though with Korean and other nationalities.
AYA.
Learned something from you!Ü IKR.
RICO.
Hahaa. Ako rin, hindi ko rin ma-gets. I'm not entirely against them and aside from me never using shortcuts in my text messages, I think that's all I can do. Somehow, it helps to learn these slangs.Ü
BABY BOY.
I almost forgot about WTF. Thanks for reminding me.
SERENE.
DX? Sooo good to hear from you. I'm glad that you're blogging. I'm amazed at how technology "keeps us not to distant from each other."
STEPH.
Shucks. Miscommunication! Hahaa.
KAITLIN.
Uy, I like this → UG2BK. Learned something from you.Ü
You're welcome!
Yes Carine knows them too :)
All those i know from Singapore know them :)
I don't know about other nationalities,but most probably not.But that is only my opinion so i might be wrong.
hahahahaa!!Uugod-ugod na nga siguro ako dyan for I don't really understand short text messages except for LOL-Laughing Out Loud!\(^0^)/
CLARISSA.
Don't worry, you're not alone. I have trouble understanding them. It feels like I'm always deciphering a code or something. Gosh. That's why I want to be in the know :D
Maybe I've been away too long, but what does (ie, aq, xa) mean?? LOL.
BTW, it's me KYM! i forgot to put my name!!! sorry :)
JEN.
xa → sya
aq → ako
Post a Comment